Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Title Clinical Associate ^27006
Req Number 12-03411
Open Date 12/17/2012
Clinical Associate Summary:
Performs nonprofessional direct and indirect patient care activities under the supervision of a registered professional nurse. Assists in providing high quality, cost-effective care by performing delegated tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1.0 Assists in direct patient care by providing basic physical care to promote patient comfort as directed by the Registered Nurse.
· Assists all assigned patients with activities of daily living according to need in a timely manner.
· Neatly and securely make all assigned beds.
· Safely assists in the transport of all patients.
· Obtains and records assigned patient specimens on schedule.
· Performs assigned tests such as glucose monitoring, urine and stool testing and maintains quality control testing & logs, according to department policy. On Subacute Unit, CNAs are not permitted to do glucose monitoring.
· Performs routine phlebotomy services, excluding line draws, in departments determined by management.
· Obtains and records assigned patient temperatures, pulse rates, respiratory rates, blood pressures, intake and outputs, weights and abdominal girths according to departmental policy.
· Provides respiratory support by properly setting up equipment needed for oxygen administration.
· Assists with usage of Incentive Spirometer according to Respiratory Care procedure.
· Observes and reports all patient concerns/changes in condition to a registered nurse immediately.
· Prepares patients for examinations and diagnostic procedures according to departmental procedure.
· Assists physicians and registered nurse with examinations and procedures.
· Assists in care of drainage devices such as penrose drains, chest tubes and similar catheters while maintaining accurate output.
· Assists with basic rehab/Physical Therapy activities, i.e. active and passive range of motion and ambulation.
· Communicates with RN regarding any nutrition issues, such as poor appetite or verbalized lack of understanding of diet changes
· Provides total care within scope of practice (vital signs, activities of daily living) when assigned sitter or constant visual responsibilities.
2.0 Assists in indirect patient care by maintaining a clean and safe environment to help prevent and/or control infections and to provide for safety of patients, visitors and employees.
· Maintains clean assigned, patient care areas according to departmental procedure.
· Maintains clean assigned, staff work areas according to departmental procedure.
· Maintains clean assigned, unit equipment according to departmental procedures.
· During shift, keeps hallways and work areas free of unused equipment.
· Reports all necessary equipment repairs to appropriate personnel according to departmental procedure in a timely manner.
3.0 Assists in routine unit operations as directed/needed to assure smooth communication and functioning of the unit.
· Courteously answers telephone in a timely manner, identifying self and unit at all times.
· Courteously answers patient call bell and relays message to the appropriate personnel.
· Relays accurate telephone, visitor and patient messages to appropriate persons in a timely manner.
· Promptly completes errands as requested.
4.0 Other duties/projects as assigned.
Unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) may have limited access to medications including during transport of non-controlled substances at the request of a licensed care provider.
Performance Standard :Adheres to the established Performance Expectations for WVUH Employees in the areas of People, Service, Performance Improvement, Shared Values & Culture.
Physical Demands :The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Heavy/Hard work: Work requires strength and/or stamina, lifting, moving, stooping, reaching, standing, and walking.
· Positioning and lifting of patients’ weighing 50 pounds.
· Materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
· Pushing/pulling carts weighing up to 200 pounds.
Work Environment :The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High school diploma or equivalent.
· Prior patient care experience preferred.
· Able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions. Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
· Successful completion of Basic Life Support Health Care Provider Course within four weeks of employment
Department 9 EAST ^039
WVUH Shift Night
WVUH Full-time/Part-time Part-time (20 to 40 hours)
Internal Transfer Only No
About the Organization Looking for a challenge? If you are motivated, talented, and eager, there's a future for you at WVU Hospitals. We are looking for people with the desire to make a difference in healthcare.
WVU Hospitals, a 531-bed tertiary care center, teaching institution, that includes:
Ruby Memorial Hospital
WVU Children's Hospital
Chestnut Ridge Center (behavioral medicine)
Jon Michael Moore Trauma Center
Physician Office Center
Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center
Betty Puskar Breast Care Center
WVU Heart Institute
Clark K. Sleeth Family Medicine Center
Rosenbaum Family House
Cheat Lake Physicians
Center for Reproductive Medicine
Pain Management Center
Wound Management Center
Sports Medicine Center
Sleep Evaluation Center
WVUH-Eastern Division (in the eastern part of the state)
Our employees are our most valuable asset. We offer competitive pay and benefits because we want to attract and retain employees who will support our mission of high quality patient care.
WVUH Hours per Week 36
Notes to Applicant None Specified
WVUH Start/End Time 7pm/7:30am